Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Hola!

One of the things that "sold" my husband and I on the school our boys currently attend was the fact that a Spanish program was offered from Kindergarten...

Fantastic! They'll be fluent by second grade!

Or, maybe not.

While both children have earned nothing by "A" grades, they would be hard pressed to wish you a good morning or bid you farewell...

un poco decepcionante, no?

So, when PBN offered up the opportunity to review the Boca Beth Spanish program, I jumped.

And, I have to say that I am a fan.

The program is broken up into a coloring book, a DVD and a CD with a spongey bird puppet called, "Boca", to help the children with the more interactive aspects of the shows.

With the DVD Boca says the words while their is animal action in the background... it's basic "repeat-after-me" stuff, but because they are cute little animals, the children's attention is really captured.

Each lesson is followed by an interactive song and dance with the Boca Beth kids... the songs are familiar, like "Monkeys On The Bed", and make it easy for your child to pick up the words...I would say that it took my daughter maybe 3 viewings before she was singing along and transitioning (fairly well) between the Spanish and English lyrics without thought.

Eva enjoyed using Boca to sing along with the songs and has a personal favorite number called, "Movin' & Groovin"... she gets up and dances and sings along all the while learning the names of body parts.

Which is a quite clever way of teaching.

The coloring book is also a hit, as my daughter loves to color and is always demanding to know what the words are... it's an easy reinforcement.

We have yet to listen to the CD as I am a little territorial on the music played both in the house and the car... (I know - mean).

We all know that the younger you are, the easier it is to learn a new language and Boca Beth is a great start.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and easy way to introduce a second language to their child.

Now, if only I could get the school to use it...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Eva, dancing with Boca Bird